Mental health may not be taken as precious to be as physical health, but it is so, and if it is to be believed, then even more important. While the body has been designed in a way that every wound will heal, given its functions, and if worse, coupled with proper medicine and care, the mind, with all its deep layers, requires far more than a few syrups and caresses, to heal itself. Hence, mental health is even more important.
Mental health counselling is a very good initiative towards improving the quality of mind, and a better version of the same is online mental health counselling, which is steadily gaining popularity because of its advantages over the traditional methods of diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
However, there are certain subtle and little things that you can do and changes that you can bring about in your lifestyle, to reduce stress and calm yourself. Here we are, listing them down for you.
1. Choose any form of exercise, meditation, or yoga that you wish to do, for some time, after you wake up in the morning. A few minutes of uninterrupted dedication to your body, helps in aligning the mind and expelling negativity
2. If you are a tea person, try switching to Green tea. Green tea is known to have antioxidants that reduce the levels of stress
3. Cut down on the normal caffeine intake, especially if you are someone who is used to too much of it
4. Start maintaining a journal and pour down all your feelings in that. Sometimes, writing the good, bad, and even plain nothings of routine gives a strange satisfaction, leading away from stress and anxiety
5. Learn to be expressive, especially when you have to say ‘No’ about something. Sometimes, due to our nature, we end up accepting things we do not want to, which build up the stress levels
6. Complete your sleep. The first sign of anxiety is irregular sleeping patterns, but you have to control it. Get enough sleep, not too less, not too more
7. Smile and laugh as much as you can, for it will dispense oxygen in your brain, decluttering all the negativity stored there. Never refrain from expressing yourself
8. Increase the intake of foods enriched in Omega 3 and Vitamin B. Include whole-grain carbs in your diet. These are the foods help in keeping us calm and positive
9. Plan your day, week or month, and try sticking to it. Make easy plans that will help you plan your time better, so that you will not be under stress
10. Unleash your inner kid and play with kids and animals as much as you can. The positivity that they possess is unmatched and unattainable, and of course infectious
11. Take out some ‘me time’. Yes, staying with friends and family, and a company that loves you is important, but so is your time, where you can introspect, treat yourself and tell yourself how much you love your being
12. Remember how Professor Lupin tells Harry in Prisoner of Azkaban that the only way he can get rid of Dementors (symbolic monsters of depression), by conjuring a happy memory by which he can use the spell? Yes, that is the same with real life. Conjure all the happy things of your life, write them down and revisit, if need be, but never let go
Small changes, and that’s all that takes, for a healthy mind, free of stress. If not, then talk to us. Online mental counselling at Café Counsel offers you a listening ear, and people who will understand your plight and guide you forward.